Friday, December 28, 2007

Best Christmas Present Ever

i had planned to post a Merry Christmas blog, but my life got a little crazy on Christmas Eve morning. i hope you'll accept my late wish that each of you had a wonderful (and much more boring than my own!) Christmas!

here's the story of the best christmas present ever:

on Christmas Eve, i woke up early to drive to minneapolis for a few hours so my mom wouldn't be alone for Christmas (we planned to officially celebrate with her on the 26th). on my way there the roads were dry and traffic was sparse...or so I thought. just as i rounded the exit from highway 52 onto highway 55, i hit a patch of "black ice" and my car started sliding. i must have overcorrected and my car started spinning out of control...so many thoughts racing through my head: "oh dear, God, i'm going to die! this is what it's like to die. this is it!" then CRUNCH! WHOOSH! CRACK! my car slammed into a concrete barrier at 70mph, my airbags deployed and i watched my windsheild shatter. "wait, i'm still alive!" but I was still spinning...i think back in the other direction...by now the airbags had deflated and i could see where i was headed...just in time to see the drop-off in front of me. you see, all this was happening on an overpass and my car went nose-first down the embankment, coming to a stop in the snow just before heading into oncoming traffic. i knew i had to get out of the car...it smelled hot...and i needed help. i frantically found my phone and jumped out into almost-knee-deep snow. i pressed speed dial 1 for matt...then 'clear'...my mom was geographically closer...speed dial 4 for her...then 'send'..."wait! 'END'! 9-1-1, beth, 9-1-1!" "hello, 911, what is your emergency?" "ummm...i just got into an accident...on highway 55...i don't know how far...umm...not far from highway 52..." "ma'am, are you hurt?" "ummmmm...no...I don't think so...no..." and THAT was the BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER! i survived this terrifying crash with only a mildly sore neck for a couple days.

my car, Urby, wasn't so lucky. i'm mourning the loss of my very first car of my own, one that i bought myself...it was big step into the world of independence when i bought that car...i think that's why it's so tough for me to lose him...he gave his life for mine. i loved that little car. he'd been so good to me...and he was SO good to me when it really counted! he held me in his lap, with his seatbelt wrapped around me, and cushioned my fall with his airbag...thanks, little Urby, for saving my life!

i think losing my dear little car, and the fear i now have on the road are the worst aspects of this whole experience...but let me tell you some of the great things about this whole ordeal...

as i dialed 911, i looked up and saw that a semi truck driver who'd been behind me had stopped to help. he guided me to safety (i had been wandering rather aimlessly in the shock of it all) and then into the driver's seat of his truck to stay warm until the state trooper got there. he made the whole experience so much better for me...told me about his kids...33, 24 and 22...i think he was trying to be a dad to me on Christmas Eve...missing his own kids and all...and it was just what i needed! i even managed to stay calm...can you believe it?

the trooper was great. she was very professional, but also very kind. she was glad and surprised i wasn't hurt. so was the tow truck driver who came to get my car before the trooper took me to a gas station, where i met even more nice people. they offered me a place to sit and coffee on the house!

meanwhile, i called my incredible insurance company...wait...did i just say "incredible insurance company"!?!?! yes, yes i did! i made my first call to the 1-800-number and the man on the other end was so kind, asking me several times how i was doing...i understand they need to know if i'm hurt, but beyond that, he just wanted to know how i was doing in general...was i holding it together? was i in a safe, warm place? he was great. a local claims rep was supposed to call within 2 hours - it only took 20 minutes. he also wanted to know how i was holding up and was so very understanding, kind and gentle. he explained everything clearly and basically said "you don't worry about anything other than yourself...we'll take care of it" and he wasn't lying! i was later transfered to a third rep (because my car was to be towed to rochester) and he was just as great! they coordinated the towing, the estimate (which turned out to be "we quit counting when we got over $14,000 in damages...and that didn't count the damage to the frame") and, folks, within 3 1/2 days of my accident, i have a check in hand for my totaled car...and don't forget i crashed on Christmas Eve morning! if you don't have Progressive car insurance...i highly recommend switching...they've been fantastic. the folks at Rochester Ford Toyota have also been great...and i don't know anybody that works for either of those companies...promise!

in addition to all those fabulous people, i also want to say that the support of my amazing husband has meant the world to me. my family (in-laws included) have been incredible, as well. i'm just so glad that i was alive and able to celebrate Christmas this year as we had planned. i came so close to either celebrating it in the hospital or not at all...just imagine if there had been more traffic...or if that semi had been any closer behind as i spun and bounced back and forth between lanes...the Big Guy must have sent a guardian angel to watch out for me...maybe his name was Urby.

here's my Urby:
front end that slammed into the concrete barrier

rear end damage that must have happened when i spun back around (i had no idea this happened)


this picture says a lot to me...it shows the seatbelt and airbag that saved my life while i watched that windshield shatter from the car's frame buckling.

R.I.P. Urby!

5 comments:

Allison said...

oh Urby I'll miss you! But I'm so happy you're ok Beth!!!
Love you lots- Merry Christmas

cassi said...

Beth!!! I am so glad you are okay. That sounds soooo scary!!!! Sorry you had to go through that.

Jen said...

I'm so glad you are alright and sad you had to say bye to your first car. We are now in our second new car as well due to an accident with a drunk driver in 2nd year. I understand the fear of driving after an accident, even though ours happened so fast we didn't know what happened until it was over. Best of luck with everything and good luck in hunting for a new car.

yuan family said...

We are so glad that you are okay.

Anonymous said...

Whoa!!! That's awful! Not quite the Christmas you expected! I'm so glad you're okay!